The National Restaurant Association recently unveiled the America Works Here campaign in an effort to draw attention to the nation's restaurant industry, which is the second-largest private-sector employer and an important player when it comes to economic growth.
The campaign will highlight a number of important details about the restaurant industry, including everything from how to learn job skills appropriate for the industry, to how to own a restaurant, to the positive impact that restaurants can have in their communities.
"Everyone can agree that America's restaurants play an important role in people's lives, whether as a place to celebrate a special occasion, a spot to grab an early morning cup of coffee, or a place to meet with colleagues over a business lunch or dinner," the NRA notes.
"The 'America Works Here' slogan highlights not just the fact that nearly half of all Americans have worked in the industry, but that the nation's nearly 1 million restaurants are the place where business deals are made, where people can rise from the dishroom to the board room, and where organizations go for the philanthropic support that helps them do great work in local communities across the country," the association adds.
Here are some interesting facts about the restaurant industry:
- Restaurant sales have almost doubled over the last 11 years, reaching $604.2 billion during 2011, nearly 4 percent of the nation's GDP.
- With 12.8 million employees, almost one in 10 Americans work in the restaurant industry.
- A number of proposed policies could add another 1.3 million jobs to the industry over the next 10 years.
- Almost half of all adults have worked in the restaurant industry and more than one in four had their first job experience in the industry.
- 80 percent of restaurant owners say their first job was an entry-level position in the restaurant industry.
- 94 percent of restaurant employees think the industry is a good place for your first job and to learn basic working skills.
- 88 percent of employees think restaurants provide the opportunity to start at the bottom and work your way up to management.
- 81 percent of employees think people of all backgrounds and experience levels can open their own restaurant.
- 46 percent of employees would like to eventually own a restaurant.